› AIA G702 & G703

AIA Forms G702 & G703 Contractor's Application & Certificate for Payment

The AIA contractor form G702™ Application and Certificate for Payment is the form that the contractor uses to invoice on the project when AIA© forms are required

The AIA Document G702–1992 is both the contractor’s request for payment as well as the architect’s certification (determining whether or not you get paid).

Digital AIA Forms

Turn your AIA forms into digital documents.

Turn your own forms into digital documents.

Visit PDFFiller for more info.

According to the AIA the use of this form can expedite payment and reduce the possibility for error.

Now my personal opinion is that the above is a promotional statement and nothing more.

One doesn't need an AIA form in order to make sure their paperwork is accurate.

And expediting payment? Payment will happen when the client decides to pay whether it's an AIA form or another, simpler invoice form.

End personal opinion... ;o)

When the paperwork is done correctly the architect should accept it with no issue. If there's a mistake he'll either correct it himself or return it to the submitter for correction - which of course drags out the payment process.

Once the architect does accept the G702® as being accurate then he/she provides documentation to the owner stating that it's okay to pay the contractor.

If there's an error the architect will probably tell the owner to pay the amount that the architect feels to be accurate. If the paperwork was done correctly then the amount should be the same amount of the invoice.

I've been told that the AIA forms are actually skewed to protect the architect more than any other party involved. It kind of makes sense. Since the architect is providing the documentation then why wouldn't the architect make the forms more protective of the architect? If something goes wrong he/she has already made sure that his/her behind is covered within the clauses of the documents.

The G702® requires the contractor to show:

  • The status of the contract sum to date, including the total dollar amount of the work completed and stored to date;

  • The amount of the retainage (if any);

  • The total of previous payments (if any);

  • The summary of the change orders (if any);

  • The amount of the payment currently being requested

The AIA® Form G703 Is The Continuation Sheet For The G702®

The G703 Continuation Sheet must be used in conjunction with the G702 form.

It breaks the the contract down into portions of work using a schedule of values that is included in the general conditions.

If the contractor has completed the G702 application properly and if the architect accepts it then he/she will sign the G703 which signals to the owner that a payment in the amount indicated is due to the contractor.

The form also allows the architect to certify an amount that is different from the amount you invoiced for.

But s/he must include a strong, bonafide explanation as to why s/he changed it.

Want a digital version (fill-in-able with your computer) of your AIA form? You'll pay through the nose getting them from the AIA. It's very expensive, and they charge you for every use, so it's definitely worth avoiding them if you can.

A much better option: Get one hard copy of the AIA form that you need and then head on over here where you can upload it and turn it into a digital (use it on your computer) form. Tip: Print in color

Don't be forced to use AIA forms!

Many years ago I found out that often times when a contractor was "required" to use an AIA form they would actually most often have been allowed to use a form that was AIA-like.

It didn't necessarily have to be an AIA form - only close to it.

But the contractors either weren't aware of that or they were but didn't know where to get forms that were enough like AIA forms to pass muster.

If you don't absolutely have to use AIA® forms, if you have the option to use "AIA®-like" forms then keep reading...

So I started looking around to see what I could find out about that.

I came across this company, Quantumss, that has several programs available, one being an 'AIA' module.

I talked to the folks behind the scenes and got the inside scoop. :o)

The first exciting bit of info was that this is so much less expensive than doing it the AIA way.

When you can use AIA-Like documents just imagine how much money that'll save you over purchasing a new AIA document every time you need one (which is a legal requirement of the AIA - use a photocopy and you're in violation of the AIA's copyright!)

Many times when someone uses AIA forms, and/or requires the use of them, that person isn't aware that there are programs that create documents that are literally quite like the AIA forms - without the exorbitant prices of course!

[Either that or it's an AIA architect that's determining which paperwork will be used] ;o)

This is all done without infringing on the AIA copyright -
It's Legal & It's So Incredibly Less Expensive!

These programs print entire documents (the entire form itself) from blank sheets of paper, filled-in with the information you entered on your computer, that are like the AIA documents.

But that's not all …

If you absolutely *have* to use an AIA form this program will actually fill in your AIA form(s) for you!

You'll enter the information on your computer, put a hard-copy of the AIA form into your printer, and hit print.

Voila! You didn't have to fill it in by hand and you didn't have to struggle with getting it lined up in a typewriter.

If you're tired of submitting AIA forms that aren't up to par with your business's professionalism then I recommend that you take a look at this program.

You can use the forms that are like the AIA forms when you are *not* required to use the actual AIA forms - and then when required to use AIA forms you'll use the program to fill in your hard-copies.

A special and exclusive discount when using TCG at checkout

We've known each other for so long that they give my readers an exclusive discount on their items, up to 40% off!

BUT (there's always a 'but', but this is an easy one) ;o) ...

You must use the exclusive discount code TCG after clicking this link.

When you get there if you want to cruise around and see what else they have to offer (plenty of construction-related programs) feel free to do so but please be absolutely certain that you have the code TCG in the discount box BEFORE purchasing. The discount will NOT be given after the purchase has been made.

Remember: The AIA charges users for each and every usage of its forms.

Do you use actual AIA forms or do you use a software program, or do you do both? Please let me know in the comments section below. :o)

New! Comments

Please enter your comments and questions about this article in the box below.

Psst: Look Who's Shacking Up Together!

Back to the top of this page:
AIA Forms G702 Affidavit of Payment of Debts and Claims